You want to look and feel your best in Pomona, California. Our dentistry options can help by giving you a bright, white, healthy set of teeth, even if you usually put off your dental appointments.
Sedation dentistry helps people who have anxiety or fear about going to the dentist by making them more relaxed and at ease during their treatment. With sedation dentistry, you’ll be more comfortable and less anxious, which means you can get the care you need with fewer appointments.
Different types and levels of sedation can be used, depending on the procedure being performed and the level of anxiety the patient is experiencing.
Some standard sedation dentistry options include:
- Oral Sedatives – taken by mouth in pill form, these can help you feel more relaxed during your dental appointment
- “Laughing Gas” – inhaled through a small mask, this type of sedation will help you feel lightheaded and giddy. Laughing gas is the most common type of sedation option for dentistry treatments. The effects of laughing gas wear off quickly.
- Intravenous (IV) Sedation – medication is delivered directly into the bloodstream through a small IV in the arm, providing a more deep level of relaxation.
Anyone can get sedation dentistry when it is performed by qualified medical professionals, such as the team at Pomona Dental Practice. The procedure is even safe enough for children, and sometimes it is most beneficial for children because they tend to experience more dental anxiety than adults.
The best way to determine if you are a good candidate for sedation dentistry is to schedule a consultation with us at our Pomona, California facility. We’ll thoroughly evaluate your health and review your medical history to ensure sedation dentistry is right for you.
Your Sedation Dentistry Appointment
Sedation dentistry can be used for most procedures, but it is essential to consult with your dentist to see if it is the best option for you. Some standard procedures that we often perform with sedation in Pomona include:
- Dental Implants
- Oral Surgery
- Root Canals
- Wisdom Teeth Removal
- General Dentistry Procedures
If you’re considering sedation dentistry for your upcoming appointment, there are a few things you should do to prepare.
- Talk to your dentist about your anxiety or fear and see if sedation is right for you
- If you take medication regularly, be sure to tell your dentist so they can adjust the dosage of sedation accordingly
- Have someone else drive you to and from your appointment, as sedation can make it unsafe for you to operate a vehicle
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing to your appointment
- Eat a light meal before your appointment, as sedation can cause nausea
- Avoid drinking alcohol for 24 hours before your appointment
When you arrive for your appointment, you’ll be greeted by a member of our team. They will ask you some questions about your medical history and current medications. You’ll then be given the sedative medication to help you relax.
Once you’re sedated, your dentist will begin the procedure. You may feel drowsy or even fall asleep, but you will be able to respond to the dentist’s questions and follow their instructions. You may feel euphoric or in a “dreamlike” state, and you may not remember your experience after the appointment is over.
After the procedure is finished, we’ll take you to a recovery area where we can closely monitor you. Once the sedative wears off and you’re feeling more alert, you can be discharged to go home.
- Once your appointment is over, it is important to take care of yourself. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Do not drink alcohol for 24 hours after your appointment
- Do not operate a vehicle for at least 24 hours after your appointment
- Eat light, bland foods for the first 24 hours after your procedure
- Take any prescribed medication as directed
- Avoid smoking for at least 24 hours after your appointment
Call Today to Schedule Sedation Dentistry in Pomona
If you have anxiety or fear about going to the dentist, sedation dentistry may be a good option. Be sure to ask us about your options and what will work best for you.
Dr. Yvonne Shu Rodriguez and Dr. Marcelo Romero Shu are here in Pomona, California, to help. We’ll help you achieve optimal dental health, we’ll help you achieve a beautiful new smile, and we’ll help you enjoy the treatment more than you would without sedation dentistry.